(meteorobs) Fisheye lens misunderstanding and photography update

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Mon Dec 7 12:03:03 EST 2009

A month ago I asked about fisheye lenses for meteor photography and got
some excellent advice here. Thank you.

Here is a brief update;

For the Leonid peak I rented a 15 mm Canon fisheye lens to mount onto a
Canon T1i DSLR camera. I did not understand what I was getting at the
time as I thought a "fisheye lens" would give *all-sky* coverage from
horizon to horizon. In fact, the 15 mm lens was merely a wider field
lens.  Apparently, you need a 2 mm or 3 mm fisheye lens to get all-sky
coverage.  I am still researching this subject.

Also, the 15 mm Canon fisheye lens tended to cause the meteors I
captured to have a spiral look rather than be straight line. I think
this is called aliasing.

Since the Leonids I have been operating my camera in continuous 15
second shooting mode in the evenings from around dusk to 10:30 PM. The
18-55 mm kit lens that came with the camera seems to be a pretty good
lens all in all. It shows the meteors with good detail so far although I
have only captured five or so meteors the past month.

Thomas Ashcraft
New Mexico