(meteorobs) Fisheye lens misunderstanding and photography update

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 7 12:53:44 EST 2009

Hi Thomas,

In general, lenses for still photography are much better corrected for
aberrations than lenses made for video cameras, since moving pictures
hide many of the flaws that are easily seen in stills. That means
extreme wide angles are very hard and expensive to make to a standard
that will be good enough for still photography.

The upshot is that you won't find anywhere near as many super-wide
lenses for still photography, and when you do find them, they are
usually super expensive.

Here is a good example, the Nikkor 8mm/2.8 :
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_fish.html

If you can find one, it'll cost you many thousands of dollars!

Don't forget, if you are using Canon EOS, you can get adapters to mount
most other makes of lens, including Nikkors, although in general I think
Canon's lens line up is better for fast-wide lenses.

I'm afraid if you want to cover the whole sky, you will need multiple
still cameras. I'd recommend using Canon 20Ds since they are fairly
cheap and easy to come by now, and the sensor offers excellent
performance, even compared to the current generation of DSLRs.

Could you post an example of one of the meteors you shot that has a
"spiral look"? It sounds more like a lens artifact (coma perhaps?) than
aliasing, which would be due to the sensor.

Leo