(meteorobs) Fisheye lens misunderstanding and photography update

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 7 15:07:41 EST 2009

Somewhat counter-intuitively, the aliasing is dependent only on the pixel
size of the camera and the focal ratio of the lens. The field-of-view
(essentially, the focal length) doesn't matter at all. The physical image
size of a point source is the same for all [perfect] lenses of a given focal
ratio. For instance, any f/4 lens will produce an Airy disc size of 5.4 um,
which is about the same size as a typical DSLR pixel. So you'll usually see
aliasing, at least until the meteor becomes so bright that the tails of the
PSF are above the noise floor of neighboring pixels, and then you see the
characteristic wide flare of imaged fireballs.

I wouldn't defocus the camera to reduce filtering. You can achieve the same
thing by the careful use of blurring filters during processing, and that
gives you the chance to experiment with different methods- an opportunity
that is lost if the raw data is already filtered by the optics.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com