(meteorobs) Fisheye lens misunderstanding and photography update

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 7 15:32:01 EST 2009

It is true aliasing, resulting from having higher spatial frequency
components in the image than the spatial sampling frequency (the pixel
spacing). It will show up in any optical system producing a small spot size
compared with the pixel size, regardless of how linear the meteor path is on
the image. The "spiral" effect may be a combination of the aliasing and the
curved path- that's related to the Moiré effect referenced by Leo. But it's
still fundamentally caused by aliasing. A meteor image crossing multiple
pixels also makes it easier to see the limiting spatial resolution of the
image- that is, the fact that the distance between pixels in the final image
is larger than the resolution of our eye. We essentially have a pixelated
image because of that.

The only condition under which the effect would be hidden (although the
aliasing still exists) is when the meteor so exactly follows a single row or
column of pixels that no other pixels are exposed. Not a likely event.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com