(meteorobs) Fisheye lens misunderstanding and photography update

Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Mon Dec 7 16:10:00 EST 2009

Is aliasing really that important? There's two types and both have been
covered in this discussion very well. One is optical distortion (curved
image) caused by the ultra wide FOV (field of view) lens, and the other
is a pixelated portion of an image which also distorts the meteors image
and could make it appear curved or blurry. What is the desired outcome
of this discussion?

What I would like to learn is how to determine altitude and azimuth of
the retardation point of a bolide event as recorded from a fish-eye lens
from an all-sky cam. It's easier to figure from a camera with a 90
degree FOV pointing horizontally in any given direction, but an all sky
camera pointing straight up with a 180 degree FOV is much harder to
calculate. The horizon to horizon view coupled with the distortion of
the image and aliasing can cause mis calculations.

Can someone please explain how to determine altitude and azimuth please
from an an all sky image? Links? Papers? Discussions?

Thanks...

Regards,
Eric