(meteorobs) computer calendar of meteor showers?

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Sun Dec 13 16:19:24 EST 2009

To be perfectly honest, other than the summaries that Bob Lunsford (weekly) and I (monthly NAMN Notes) do, almost everything other than the IMO Working list is woefully out of date. Bob and I keep up with the latest developments. I guess it depends on what your objective is. If you are only interested in major shower peaks, then the IMO working list and recently updated sources (Many are not, I've seen shower lists from 20 years ago still being posted on the Interwebz as current) are fine.

If you want to know all available showers visible on any given night, then right here at meteorobs is one of the best places to find out the current status of meteor shower research and lists.

Meteor shower understanding and data for showers has changed dramatically over the last decade, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

So what are you looking for? A list of nights when you might see 20 meteors an hour (About 10 a year at best depending on the moon, weather and you light pollution level), or a list of all showers that you can possibly see on a given night? For me, I have had exactly 11 nights with an average TOTAL meteor rate (Not just the major shower du jour) of > 20 in the last 4 years. Only 33 with a total observed rate greater than 10 per hour, about 8 per year. My attitude is that if it's clear and dark, I observe no matter what the shower rate will be. Others are looking for "good shows" which are far too rare. Where do you fit on that spectrum?

Sometimes, life ain't simple :)

Wayne