(meteorobs) Geminids

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon Dec 14 12:09:18 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/14/2009 11:44:11 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
BJSummers writes:

A great show last night. Thanks for the heads-up!

I decided to head out at 3 a.m. EST. Skies were 90%  clear (some high
"schmutz" down near the western horizon).  LM was +5.0 for  me which is pretty
typical for my part of Putnam County, NY. Not a breath  of wind and thankfully
not overly cold either (35 F).  I saw 20 Gems in 40  minutes.  I really
wasn't doing any "serious" observing (I was just  standing and constantly
scanning around the sky . . . I didn't break out the  long lounge chair).

Most of the meteors I saw were white with a tinge of yellow  and were
magnitude +1 to +2.  Very few left any lingering trails. A couple  reached 0 to
-1 magnitude, but nothing really outstanding in terms of any  fireballs or
bolides. At least twice, I had thoughts about heading inside  because there
were lulls of 5 or 8 minutes when I saw absolutely nothing.   Then, just as
suddenly, there would be a "burst" of 3 or 4 in only about  30-seconds.  It
was almost as if the Geminids were saying, "Wait . . .  don't go!  How's
this?"

Then, bing! bang! zoom!

At 3:40 a.m, the high schmutz from the west rapidly began to  overspread
much of the sky.  I did see one more Geminid through these  clouds . . . very
close to Castor . . . almost a "radial" (point)  meteor. After that I called
it a night. Considering I was shutout of both  the Perseids and Leonids
this year thanks to unwelcome clouds, the "Gems"  provided a nice consolation
prize.

At this start of this year, I also saw a nice Quadrantid  display, so the
Quads and the Gems were my "bookends" (with not much in  between!).

-- joe rao