(meteorobs) Geminids December 13/14 from Oregon

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Tue Dec 15 22:57:29 EST 2009

I was observing from 5:51 to 9:08 UT on December 14 and clocked just under 3 hours of Teff. Unfortunately, there was moving fog about. Limiting magnitude at the field center would suddenly vary from 5.8 to 6.7, and obstruction by clouds from 0% to 25% to completely covered in a matter of seconds. I had to break several times when it got too bad. I tried to keep up by doing very frequent estimates, so it will be a lot of fun to slice up that data :(

I did get everything entered off my tape, and I saw 198 meteors including 176 Geminids. 18 Geminids were in the negative magnitudes, with the brightest a long violet -4. A decent display, but not spectacular. It would obviously have been much nicer to get consistently clear weather, but any type of clearing for the Geminids is pretty rare around here.

Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

--
So he slept on a mountain.