(meteorobs) Train production...was something else. :O)

geozay at aol.com geozay at aol.com
Fri Dec 18 13:18:08 EST 2009

I'm not sure the first sent made it to the  lists...so we might have a
double posting...sorry about  that.
geo
>>Would anyone care to share their knowledge of the  factors at play in the
production of visible "trains"? I would surmise that the  velocity of the
object has less to do with this than the mass and the  penetration to denser
lower altitudes.<<

Here are some more of what  I have recorded from my observations during the
1990's. I'm sure the number of  bright magnitudes and number of meteors in
my survey will have some influence,  but I think velocity strongly enters
the picture for visible train production.  Also Sky magnitude and personal
visual acuity will have some influence as well.

Shower                 Entry Velocity          # of  Meteors
 Train  Production

Leonid                      71km/s                    573
               55%
Eta  Aquarid              66km/s                     158
              45.6%
Aurigids                    66km/s                     52
              40.4%
Orinids                     66km/s                      459
              38.1%
Coma Bernicids         65km/s                     14
         35.7%
Delta  Aurigids             64km/s                   100
              31%
Perseids                    59km/s                   1357
              41.4%
Hydrids                     58km/s                     26
              7.7%
Lyrids                        49km/s                     179
                 16.2%
N.Delta Aquarids         42km/s                      96
          3.1%
S. Delta Aquarids        41km/s                      263
            4.6%
Quadrantids                41km/s                      104
             5.8%
Geminids                    35km/s                    1413
               3.2%
Virginids                     30km/s                    120
                 4.2%
N.Taurids                    29km/s                      437
               1.6%
Delta  Cancrids             28km/s                      18
              0%
S.  TAurids                    27km/s                      311
                 0.32%
Capricornids                25km/s                        127
               3.9%
sporadics                    N/A                             5900
                  13.8%