(meteorobs) Train production...was something else. :O)

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 18 16:15:06 EST 2009

Thank you for posting that data George, and the snippet from the
meteorite-list. Very interesting breakdown of the statistics!

It's been a long time since I saw anything like the amount of Geminids
observed this year, and also since I observed them under relatively dark
skies. No doubt that has skewed my recollection of past showers at least
a bit. I need to get out of town more I think ;)

What surprised me most, and this is assuming that the meteors captured
by the cameras were not much brighter than those I was seeing, was that
the longest lasting train I saw lasted perhaps no longer than 2-3
seconds (-3 or -4 mag. meteors with an estimated sky LM of about +6 in
the zenith, but only down to about 15 degrees. Below that, where most of
the brighter Geminids were seen, the LM rapidly rose!), but the cameras
were able to "see" them for many minutes.

It shouldn't surprise me I know since cameras are much better at
gathering photons over time, but it still does!

Even so I have not come across this before (even with the faster
showers) to this degree at least, but perhaps it is just down to having
more cameras running than before, and catching a few chance events,
although I still can't help but wonder if somehow the conditions at high
altitude where the trains are formed were somehow more favorable for
train formation/longevity than they usually are.

Clear Skies!
Leo