(meteorobs) Video Observations from Southern CA, December 25, 2009

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Sat Dec 26 10:10:12 EST 2009

Wayne,

No, I really don't have the time to do that at this moment. I do need to find time to post summaries of each night of my data and
others that use video cameras in North America. I'll start this in 2010.

The data is obtained by using the IMO's "MetRec" software. This program records all motion that passes through the FOV during the
session. I start the program at dusk each clear evening and then end it at dawn. Once the session is complete I then manually remove
all the aircraft, satellites, birds, and bugs that have caused false detections. Rather than reviewing 12 hours of video the program
only displays a still picture of each event (a composite of all video frames that contain the meteor) so editing each night's data
only takes a few minutes. The program automatically records the time, magnitude, shower association, and velocity of each meteor. It
also plots all meteors on a chart and saves a bmp file of each meteor.

You are correct as to the times you listed (dusk to dawn).

Best wishes for 2010!

Bob