(meteorobs) More on the Buzzard Coulee meteorite

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sat Feb 14 13:37:10 EST 2009

    The following abstracts have been submitted to the 40th Lunar &
Planetary Science Conference (2009):

Universities of Calgary / Western Ontario / Regina / Saskatchewan abstract
on the fall and find:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2009/pdf/2505.pdf

Portland State University / U. of Calgary abstract on petrography:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2009/pdf/1893.pdf

University of Alberta abstract on mineralogy, petrology and cosmogenic
radionuclide chemistry:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2009/pdf/2072.pdf

    The latter has a personal connection in that the specimens used for the
analysis were those recovered by Frank Florian and myself.

    While I'm at it, a heads-up that my website recapping our experiences at
Buzzard Coulee as well as at the periphery of the subsequent research has
been updated to follow the story of "our" meteorites into the academic and
public domains:
http://skyriver.ca/astro/bruce/meteorite.htm

    I'm delighted to report that the interest in this site has been
widespread, indeed global in scope. The last statistics I saw indicated we
had received over 20,000 visitors to our page, with guests from all 13
Canadian provinces and territories, 49 of the 50 United States, and some 90
(!) countries around the world. Through the magic of the Internet I have
discovered reproductions of our images and links to our site on websites and
blogs in numerous "foreign" languages, and have had my photographs published
(with permission -- there may be more) in astronomical journals and
magazines in English, French, Slovenian and Finnish. It's been an exciting
time.

    Bruce
    *****