(meteorobs) Texas Fireball

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Mon Feb 16 02:15:17 EST 2009

Pat Branch schreef:

> Both meteors and manmade objects at this low an altitude would have
> roughly the same terminal velocity Mass*(Gravity-Drag).

Sorry, but you are wrong here. Any meteoric fireball will be at least 11 km/s
(and usually -much- faster than that). Decaying satellite debrisonly 7.5 km/s.

Also: to produce a seizable fireball at a 7.5 km/s velocity, certainly one
visible in daylight, it has to be quite big. I expect any debris of the
satellite collision to be rather small, not enough for a seizable fireball.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek  -  SatTrackCam Leiden, the Netherlands.
e-mail: sattrackcam at wanadoo.nl

Cospar 4353 (Leiden):   52.15412 N, 4.49081 E (WGS84), +0 m ASL
Cospar 4354 (De Wilck): 52.11685 N, 4.56016 E (WGS84), -2 m ASL
SatTrackCam: http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek/satcam.html
Station (b)log: http://sattrackcam.blogspot.com
-----