(meteorobs) Texas fireball

Ed Cannon edcannonsat at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 04:44:03 EST 2009

What must be sonic booms were reported in
Hill and Navarro counties, south of Dallas,
Texas.  Two towns named in one TV story (a
Fox station in the Dallas, Texas, area)
where sonic booms were heard were Hubbard
and Penelope.

One private report I've seen mentions what
I guess was a smoke trail that lasted about
ten minutes.  That report said the fireball
was visible for about eight seconds and
that it was going south to north when seen
to the east of Austin.

Another report from people who apparently
were in a car says they saw going NNE while
they were traveling northeast.

This was a significant fireball, and I hope
another video was made from somewhere.  I
saw a mention that a police-car dashboard
camera may have captured it.

This was at 11:00 AM local time -- broad
daylight.

By the way, online reports now cite the FAA
and STRATCOM as saying it was a nature
event completely unrelated to the collision
of the satellites.

I would tend to thank that this might have
been detected by a DSP satellite, but if
so we might never hear about it.

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA