(meteorobs) "Helmet" of fireballs

prospector at znet.com prospector at znet.com
Mon Feb 16 18:06:50 EST 2009

Karl and Roberto,
    I wrote about two meteor sightings from several years ago where I had
seen shock waves. I've never considered either to be space junk, the first
one low on the horizon over the ocean may have been the Navy doing
something, partly because of their activity here in the San Diego area, but
I have since read of another time where a scientist (this time) had seen a
shock wave before a meteor appeared, but that was some years ago and I only
recall that he wasn't an American. The 2nd meteor came low at first and so
enabled me to get my binoculars on it, possibly an Earth grazer from the
direct south. It didn't have the typical star-bright head of a re-entry, a
very typical -3 to -4 mag. white meteor except it traveled a long distance
and produced that unique shock wave that at first expanded then contracted.
These sightings were not seen on the same night or month.

                                       Dave English
                                   Oceanside, California