(meteorobs) Texas fireball -- radar images

Pat Branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 08:52:24 EST 2009

Alright I agree that the Austin, Waco, Dallas event was one event and
was not satellite debris. But if it was a meteor greater than 1 meter
why didn't STRATCOM report it even earlier (like they did with the
one over Sudan)? The NEAR project is suppose to track and report on
any object that size that may strike earth. Also the satellite
collision could easily produce debris that would re-enter almost
anywhere or anytime (but maybe not in any direction). Take two car
sized objects smashing together at 11 km/s. Pieces could have easily
shot downward at 100 miles/hour which would have re-entered 5-6 hours
later.

The radar tracks you referenced are great Ed. They show any
meteorites would have landed about 5 kilometers SE of Lake Whitney.
Although the altitude differences cause a large spread over the
possible impact zone. The Fort Worth Radar (which I can see from my
house) would have imaged the one on the right first and the one on
the left second. The Granger radar would have imaged the lower
altitude first and the higher altitude second, so yes it would have
been a reflection off an Ionization trail. The images would have been
about a second and 6 degs of scan apart.

My belief they were separate parts of something come from early
reports from McKinney saying it was seen in the north. In the police
dash cam from plano it appears to be going north to south in a more
vertical direction and very high in the sky. Reports from Denton also
put it very high in the sky (still confused about how this could be).
The Austin video was suppose to be taken looking north giving a fall
area around Marble Falls. So it must have been taken NE or ENE to
give the low trajectory and east to west appearance. There is no way
an object 9,000 feet off the ground can be seen from 120 miles away,
so it must have been over Hearn area from the Austin video.

It would be interesting to hear more reports from the Whitney, West,
Mart area to try and determine if there are any possible meteorites
from this one. Not likely to start any search parties like the
Canadian bolide did though....

Clear skys all.