(meteorobs) West, Texas meteorite finds

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sat Feb 21 16:00:17 EST 2009

> Hello from Sunny Texas, under clear and starry-eyed skies at the moment,

Thanks for the fantastic report, Mexico Doug. And, congratulations!!!!

I have rarely read something with which I can so completely empathize.
Although obviously the details differ, in all important respects I had a
parallel experience not three months ago, and to call it "some of the more
memorable moments in my life" is no understatement.

I also congratulate you for pursuing the interests of science; that was
objective #1 of Frank Florian's and my expedition to Buzzard Coulee, and I'm
proud to say we succeeded in that endeavour. The true treasure to be hunted
comes in the currency of knowledge.

As for providing the "mass requirements" sufficient for the task. I know
that scientists can do a lot with a little. In our case, we found 4
fragments amassing some 225 g, turned them over to the University of
Alberta, who in turn produced a paper covering three sub-disciplines for the
upcoming 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference.

Mexico Doug, I trust your group has been keeping a photographic record of
your adventures, and will make it available on the Internet in due course.
Well worth your time and effort to do so; this is a subject of interest the
world over.

For now, though, thanks for the beautiful "word pictures". Awesome stuff.

Bruce
*****
http://skyriver.ca/astro/bruce/meteorite.htm