(meteorobs) OT- Map question.

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 1 17:33:47 EST 2009

Thanks Folks, Everything is fine.

The original difficulty was hanging the wall map on a west facing wall with
true north a verticle direction over the marked Yuba City. I thought I could
use the Longitudal lines because it is a conic projection map, but decided
to check by asking around.

I cannot use magnetic readings at all. Taking the map outdoors and
subtracting magnetic North would not do much for me because it would require
marking an original map which would still be useless when it is hung on a
wall. The object was to get the map aligned VERTICALLY to True North without
regard to the frame, and where the Yuba City symbol and another Sentinel
station location is used with my digital level & protractor to establish
close points of meteor fallout.triangulation based on the photographs from
two Sentinel stations. I fully understand it is a rough triangulation, but
the fun was noting the kind of terrain features that would be encountered on
a ground search and marking the website copy of this map with those
estimated locations. The colorfull information & raised reliefs of
mountains, valleys, and other such map detail make it quite picturesque.

Anyway, I need only to tilt the wall map a few degrees CCW to align the
Longitudal lines verticle and it places the map in a position to use the
digital measuring stuff.

Apparently my original question was widely misunderstood. Maybe because of
how I phrased the question? However the effort to help is DEEPLY APPRECIATED
and a credit to this very intellectual forum!

BTW- Nystrom said I should rotate the this big map ON THE WALL 16 degrees
CCW.....

Larry
YCS