(meteorobs) quads maximum

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Fri Jan 2 10:57:29 EST 2009

kcstarguy at aol.com wrote:
> Aren't the quads predicted to have maximum around 7 am Eastern timein US? on Jan 3? I am getting differing points of view for the time of the maximum and whether it is morning of 3rd or 4th?
>

> Dr. Eric Flescher

Eric,

Here is info from the 2009 IMO meteor shower calendar:
http://www.imo.net/calendar/2009
::::::

The waxing crescent Moon will set near local midnight for the maximum of
the Quadrantids at northern hemisphere sites, from many of which, the
shower's radiant is circumpolar, in northern Boötes. As this area
attains a useful elevation only after local midnight, rising higher in
the sky towards morning twilight, this is excellent news. However, the
expected peak's timing falls poorly for land-based observers, except for
those in the extreme western areas of North America, on islands in the
North Pacific Ocean, and the extreme east of Russia. An interesting
challenge is to try spotting the occasional long-pathed shower member
from the southern hemisphere around dawn, but sensible Quadrantid
watching cannot be carried out from such places.

The maximum timing above is based on the best-observed return of the
shower ever analysed, from IMO 1992 data, confirmed by radio results in
most years since 1996. The peak itself is normally short-lived, and can
be easily missed in just a few hours of poor northern-winter weather,
which may be why the ZHR level apparently fluctuates from year to year,
but some genuine variability is probably present too. For instance,
visual ZHRs in preliminary results from 2008 persisted for more than two
hours at close to their best, with the maximum itself centred around
three to four hours later than anticipated. An added level of complexity
comes from the fact that mass-sorting of particles across the meteoroid
stream may make fainter objects (radio and telescopic meteors) reach
maximum up to 14 hours before the brighter (visual and photographic)
ones, so observers should be alert throughout the shower. A few, but
apparently not all, years since 2000 seem to have produced a, primarily
radio, maximum following the main visual one by some 9-12 hours. Visual
confirmation of any repeat near this time in 2009 would fall ideally for
sites from Europe east to central Asia. Oddly, in 2008, there seemed to
be two possible radio Quadrantid peaks, but the first was apparently
about six hours /before/ the visual one, during an apparent
rates-plateau ahead of the main maximum in the visual data.

Past observations have suggested the QUA radiant is diffuse away from
the maximum, contracting notably during the peak itself, although this
may be a result of the very low activity outside the hours near maximum.
Still-imaging and video observations from January 1-5 would be
particularly welcomed by those investigating this topic, using the IFCs
and TFCs given above, along with telescopic and visual plotting results.