(meteorobs) GREAT Quadrantids in eastern Ontario!!!

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 3 08:37:18 EST 2009

Hello all,

The weather gods were with me... I completely lucked in for the
Quadrantids!!  I just got home.

Skies around mag 6.3 or so, I enjoyed an OUTSTANDING meteor display!
Went out east of Ottawa for a couple hours until dawn.   Temp around
-16C.   I haven't yet listened to the tape, but this was easily the
best Quadrantids return I've ever seen.  Many periods of 2-3 or more
meteors a minute!  Some bursts of nearly simultaneous meteors.  Many
bright mag 0, +1 and some fireballs into the morning dawn.  Had two
DSLR cameras running - and pretty sure I've captured a good number of
meteors.

I wonder if the peak came earlier than forecasted - or maybe those on
the west coast of the continent will report even more spectacular
results?  In any case, the activity sure had my adrenaline level up
several notches :0)

I'm exhausted now.  Must sleep.  But will report in more details
later in the day.

- Pierre