(meteorobs) Alaska bolide - 29/12/08

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 3 10:30:28 EST 2009

Yet another big fireball with booms heard:

*FAIRBANKS, Alaska — Was it a meteor falling from space?*

Officials think that might be what residents saw shooting through the
Alaska sky near Tok on Monday afternoon.

A tremendous explosion, like a sonic boom, drew some people outside,
where they watched irregular contrails scribe a path in a clear sky.

At her home four miles west of Tok, Kathy Olding was loading a large
sled with firewood to haul to her house when she was startled by an
explosion.

Peering out from the tarp-covered wood pile, she saw even her
imperturbable Chesapeake Bay retriever, Journey, was on edge, ears cocked.

"I could kind of hear it still rumbling, like thunder," she recalled. "I
thought, what in the world?"

Turning her eyes to the sky, Olding saw the oddest contrail.

"It was just like somebody took a pen and made a white cloud that went
up and down and up and down and squiggly," she said, describing the
pattern.Others called 911.

Alaska State Troopers dispatcher Diane Kendall fielded several calls
starting about 3:30 p.m. Most reported a loud explosion.

One caller, an adult, told Kendall an 11-year-old witnessed the entire
spectacle outside.

"He said it was like a big fireball that exploded, with smoke
everywhere," Kendall relayed. "The kid said, 'I think it was a meteor,'
and I went, right. The Martians have landed. But then I got three other
calls, boom, boom, boom. I was pretty shocked."

People reported hearing and feeling an explosion in the air, but no one
called in about debris falling from the sky, said Sgt. Freddie Wells,
the state trooper on duty at the time.

Responding to the reports, he went out and cas is highly unusual for
many, many Tokites to have heard this explosion," Olding wrote in an
e-mail. "Does ANYONE know what it was? We are all dying to know."

News that the mysterious incident was likely a meteor was somewhat
reassuring, laying to rest Martian theories.

"We're looking for UFOs around here," Sgt. Wells joked.

Chappelow said nearly all meteors that leave visible trails in the
atmosphere are no bigger than a BB, and most are as tiny as a grain of sand.

The brightness comes from the speed with which meteors travel into the
Earth's atmosphere.

--

Leo