(meteorobs) I saw the (Quad) "early show" too!

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 3 11:51:24 EST 2009

As Rainer speculated and as East Coast and Midwest observers have noted the early Quadrantid show continued over the Atlantic and eastern North America.  I saw an unexpectedly good show of Quadrantids from about 900 UT until 1100 UT.  There were several minute intervals with from two to four Quads in them.  The QUA highlights for me were a -3 fireball at 921 UT and a -5 at 950 UT.  The vast majority of the shower members were +3 mag.  I look forward to reports of what the West Coast witnesses.  I suspect that this QUA return will teach us something new about the shower.

I any event it was the most fun observing I've had in quite a while: observing the unexpected.

Rich