(meteorobs) Quadrantids from South-Eastern France

Karl Antier ka.antier at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 3 13:30:37 EST 2009

Dear meteor observers,

What a wonderful show observed from France more than 8 hours
before the predicted peak! Under cold but very transparent
skies (lm. +6.9), the activity of the Quadrantids were really
impressive! Unfortunately, I forgot my clock, so I didn't
make any counts, but my impression was that rates were higher
than 80 between 3h and 5h UT...
Really great!
That also bring a question. In case you are not able to record
a shower activity (because you forgot your watch, for instance :-(
are some valuable data recordable? I was thinking of plotting
carefully meteors, but is it really useful compared to still
imaging and video? And in case it's useful, how to proceed to
make those plots as useful as possible? As I guess this can be used
for radiant position determination and 'diffusivity', I imagine
it's better to change of FOV to have nice secant meteor paths,
isn't it? What's the best alternative, then? Changing of FOV every
15' or so and rotating of 90° around the radiant? Or is there
more efficient methods, or more useful data to record?

Thanks in advance for your answer!
Just hope most of you enjoyed the show!

Clear skies!
Karl