(meteorobs) Quadrantids impressive from Oregon!

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Sat Jan 3 19:41:01 EST 2009

After a couple of months of terrible weather (no Leonids, Geminids or Ursids
here), Saturday morning looked pretty promising. I managed to wake up at
around 3am and look out at clear sky. Temperature at the start of the
observation was 17F (-8C), which is actually pretty balmy for a clear night
in January. It dropped a few degrees while I was out there. I didn't see any
meteors while I was setting up, which worried me a bit, but I started seeing
Quads once I settled into my sleeping bag. After a bit of trouble with my
watch and tape recorder, I got things straightened out and enjoyed a
spectacular meteor shower on par with the 2004 Perseids.

In 2.63 hours of Teff, I saw 289 Quadrantids and 40 other meteors under nice
dark skies. The Quadrantids seemed to be of average brightness. There was a
brilliant -5 fireball late in the watch. Most of the Quadrantids appeared
pure white to me, although there were a smattering of greens and blues and
one red. Only about 5% left notable wakes/trains. I picked up a lot of
meteors fairly close to the radiant.

Other minor showers were nearly absent, and sporadic rates were roughly
normal. The most notable background activity featured 8 fast, trained
meteors appearing to radiate from the Corvus/Virgo/Crater boundary region
(South Apex?).

The Quadrantids came in the normal spurts and lulls. I didn't see a sharp
peak, although rates were apparently higher in the middle of my watch. The
Quadrantids were definitely still going strong well into twilight as I
watched the ISS glide by and then dug out my binoculars to see the infamous
toolbag (about magnitude 7.5) skip by Eta Draconis.

Report follows (IMO electronic form already filled out and available at
http://umdb.urania.be/v2/obsview/view.php?id=4442 for those who prefer short
intervals).

Observer: Wesley Stone (STOWE)
Location: Chiloquin, OR (42d 35m N, 121d 52m W)
Method: Counting: Watch/Tape recorder