(meteorobs) Radiant in Pegasus/Equuleus?

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 3 18:55:53 EST 2009

Hi all,

I recorded 2 meteors last night with a pair of DSLRs running for about
3.5 hours (between 22:35  and 02:00 UT), but neither were Quadrantids it
seems.

I saw the first, which was a medium speed pure white -2 mag. that flared
along it's path and finished with a terminal burst. It reminded me of a
Taurid, or something fairly tough like asteroidal material in the way
that it flared. Unfortunately I must have moved the focusing ring when
positioning the camera, so the focus is not perfect.
Full frame: http://www.btinternet.com/~l.stachowicz/pics/other/IMG_9428.jpg
Crop: http://www.btinternet.com/~l.stachowicz/pics/other/IMG_9428_c.jpg

The second meteor (full frame):
http://www.btinternet.com/~l.stachowicz/pics/other/YX9J0193.jpg
Crop:  http://www.btinternet.com/~l.stachowicz/pics/other/YX9J0193_c.jpg
I did not see the second, so am not sure which direction it was heading,
but just for fun I decided to try and plot the meteors using photoshop,
and they appear to point back to a radiant somewhere around
Pegasus/Equuleus.

Here is the result:
http://www.btinternet.com/~l.stachowicz/pics/other/unk_radiant030109_ed.jpg

Sadly, I ran out of room, so I had to extend the canvas a little and
paste in more map. It's by no means perfect.

Anyone else seen any potential candidates for a radiant here?

Leo