(meteorobs) Radiant in Pegasus/Equuleus?

rarlt at aip.de rarlt at aip.de
Mon Jan 5 06:21:24 EST 2009

Leo S wrote:

> I recorded 2 meteors last night with a pair of DSLRs running for about
> 3.5 hours (between 22:35  and 02:00 UT), but neither were Quadrantids it
> seems.
> [...]
> I did not see the second, so am not sure which direction it was heading,
> but just for fun I decided to try and plot the meteors using photoshop,
> and they appear to point back to a radiant somewhere around
> Pegasus/Equuleus.
>
> Here is the result:
> http://www.btinternet.com/~l.stachowicz/pics/other/unk_radiant030109_ed.jpg

Leo, I cannot see the point in searching for a radiant
from two meteors. Two meteors will always meet somewhere.
Also, note that the prolongations of meteors are great
circles. These are not straight lines on a map like the
one you showed. They have to be curved. Meteors (and their
prolongations) are straight lines only on gnomonic maps.
Nevertheless, nice photos! I also tried to capture a few,
but nothing spectacular.

Best regards,
Rainer