(meteorobs) Quad observations after 1400 UT- Jan 3, 2009 ?

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Mon Jan 5 13:18:40 EST 2009

To follow up, if you look at the "Temporal Distribution" graph here:
http://www.imo.net/live/quadrantids2009/

You can see the spike in obervers beginning around 0UT on 1/3; that is Europe (11 Max). The there is a short gap between then and North America between Alex Sholten in the Netherlands and the first North American observers. (2h 21m).

The next spike is NA observers, maximum 9 so far. They begin at 0830 and end at 1424 (the Ice Pop Bruce), the next obs are from Japan at 1650 UT, a gap of 3 Hr 30m.

There really aren't too many observers in between, so I don't have much hope.

What is somewhat disappointing is that the German, Czech, and Netherlands observers were the furthest west from Europe. Usually there are some Spanish or Canary Island observers to help bridge the gap. However, with the low radiant elevation of the Quads early in the evening, the US satrted later than usual for a peak shower night as well.

For the observation set (giving this time) you need to drill down to here:

http://umdb.urania.be/v2/obsview/quadrantids2009.php

Wayne

From: Thomas Ashcraft <ashcraft at heliotown.com>