(meteorobs) US Air Force Space Surveillance Radar - tuning in?

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Wed Jan 21 19:31:29 EST 2009

Can anyone give me advice on tuning into the US Air Force Space
Surveillance Radar in Texas?

I am using an ICOM PCR1000 radio with a tv antenna pointed towards
Archer City, Texas and am tuned at 216.980 MHz.  Using USB I get a very
strong tone. Is this the tone of the radar?  Any advice as to settings (
USB/LSB/CW ? ) and what filtering combination is best is welcome.  I
wonder if you can receive meteor scatter without having the constant
tone in the background?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft