(meteorobs) US Air Force Space Surveillance Radar - tuning in?

Pat Branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 00:03:20 EST 2009

Oops one problem with this method is you easily count the head of the
meteors, but you do not get the trail length of time. So shifting off
freq is good for counting events, but not so good in listening for how
long the path reflects. Unfortunately the tail doppler shift would
only be around 30 to 40 Hz depending on winds aloft which is not far
enough off center freq to allow you to tune out the carrier.

Also make sure AGC is off since it would try and find the peak power
return and would give you a constant signal.