(meteorobs) US Air Force Space Surveillance Radar - tuning in?

Pat Branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 13:28:06 EST 2009

Using the Radar power equation you should be able to calculate the
size of objects you could detect based on your antenna gain, the
radiated power (768 KW), the distance between you, the meteor, and
the station, etc etc....ok so it is not real easy!

I would expect you would hear a few per hour at best (depending on
your minimum size resolution - which I would expect to be in the
fraction of an inch area)...but I'm not an expert on that. You might
try and coordinate your observation using a known satellite pass over
the Space Radar (or Amarillo). I happen to be pretty close to the
radar site (I'm in NW Fort Worth).

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, Thomas Ashcraft <ashcraft at ...>
wrote:

> Bob, Pat, Larry and all,
>
> Thank you for your helpful input.
>
> I am still tuning in various configurations of gain, attenuation,
and
> filtering and can get the tone to disappear using LSB. I will keep
> tweeking but I have heard no meteors thus far.
>
> I wonder what normal morning sporadic meteor rates would be?
Should I