(meteorobs) (Meteorobs) Baltic Fireball

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 28 02:23:26 EST 2009

Interesting discussion in that group.
(There is so much to do and it seems, & so little time to do it).

VLF signatures, like any (possible) electrostatic impulse, or magnetometer
decay may very well be under specific conditions of the bolides path or
direction & position relative to a detecting station.

To date, I have (not) had one single LARGE, bright, detonating fireball
occur at the same time as the data logger & electrostatic machines were
turned on & operational.

Most fireballs in my area have been close to the horizon, and another future
difficulty will be getting an accurate time pulse on the logger at the exact
moment of a Sentinel/Handyavi fireball trigger. That problem is being worked
on (or planned) by Sentinel staff & Richard of Handyavi and I await that
implementation.

At this moment, the 2nd of the two new electrometers is 3/4 finished. Both
will be an additional 3 feet higher on the patio roof for a total height of
about 18 feet and installed when my back yard fruit tree pruning is finally
finished. Assuming weather is still good.

A written log will be kept of large bright fireballs that do not record and
those that appear to record to see if direction and/or other makes a
difference.

YCSentinel