(meteorobs) Asteroid 1087 SJ3

chergen chergen at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 5 14:11:28 EDT 2009

Hi Roberto,

1987 SJ3 is definitely a normal run-of-the-mill Hungaria main belt
asteroid. At discovery it was originally classified as a near-Earth
asteroid due to an error in the time of some of its observations.
This error was recognized within a few days though. It is possible
that the paper you read was still using the incorrect NEO orbit.

I haven't crunched the numbers but the original NEO orbit could
have been consistent with the Tau Herculids. The actual Hungaria
orbit is not going to be producing meteors for at least a few
billions years, if ever.

- Carl Hergenrother