(meteorobs) (Meteorobs) From IMO web 6 July 2009 Pennsylvania and Maryland Fireball

drobnock drobnock at penn.com
Mon Jul 27 13:17:02 EDT 2009

FYI
George John Drobnock.

July 6th Fireball in Pennsylvania
    Posted by: "Mike Hankey" mike.hankey at gmail.com mike.hankey
    Date: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:38 am ((PDT))

On July 6th 2009 at 1:04 AM a fireball streaked across northern
Maryland and Southern Pennsylvania. Hundreds of eye witnesses reported
the meteor causing a sonic boom and shaking houses. Amateur astronomer
Mike Hankey in Freeland MD was shooting a long exposure of Andromeda
at the time and the meteor streaked through his picture.

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/baltimore-pa-meteor/update-on-baltimore-pa-meteor/

A security cam from York Water Company recorded the meteor's flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXAmWcp_2Vg&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mikesastrophotos.com%2Fbaltimore-pa-meteor%2Ffront-page-news-another-tv-interview%2F&feature=player_embedded

Yesterday I acquired a third recording from safe harbor dam in the
middle of the Susquehanna river. The dam was very close along the
previously determined meteor path and estimated bulls eye. I wrote the
dam last week and asked them to check their security video for the
date and time. They were nice enough to check and share the video with
me. The video is not a direct sighting but it has 4-5 frames of
distinct shadows that could be used to determine a relative location
and direction. I do not have permission to publish the video yet, but
i can share it with anyone that is interested.

I believe there is enough good photographic evidence to get a more
precise bulls eye than the one we have now. (current bulls eye red
zone is approximately 50 square miles and determined by an aerospace
engineer.)

The astro photo of the meteor is very precise because there are stars
in it and we know the exact time. The york video is very good as well.
The video from the dam only shows shadows but these could be valuable
if properly analyzed.

I posted a pretty comprehensive field report from this saturday:

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/baltimore-pa-meteor/field-report-for-saturday-july-25th-2009/

if you are interested in reviewing the video from safe harbor contact
me privately.

Is there anyone in this group that could help determine the trajectory
of this meteor based on the evidence we have now? I can share with you
latitude and longitude and line of sight for all of the sightings. If
you can help, please respond to this post or email me directly at
mike.hankey [AT] gmail.com

I am willing and want to work with anyone that shares an interest in
recovering the rocks from the Mason Dixon Meteor. If you are working
on this and want to compare notes, please contact me.

Thanks,

Mike Hankey
http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/