(meteorobs) Observation July 29/30 2009

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 31 00:18:24 EDT 2009

Here's my report on another fabulous night of observing!

On Wednesday evening, I left home at 10:00pm and drove about 100km
west of the city to Stafford 2nd Line Road (a quiet country road
occasionally used by amateur astronomer Chris Thuemen, located about
20km south-west of Cobden).  The forecast was predicting clearing
skies with good transparency shortly after midnight, and this time I
was confident about its accuracy (I had my eyes glued to the satellite
images for most of the day ;)  My objective this night was to do
strictly meteor observing.  The late July period has long been among
my favorite times of the year for meteors.  I just love the wide
variety, from the slow and graceful moving Alpha Capricornids, to the
swift moving streaks of early Perseids.  I also usually see the
highest numbers of Delta Aquarid meteors near July 30.  Watching all
these meteors dart against a beautiful summer Milky Way backdrop, on a
cool comfortable night, is something I never get tired of :)

When I left home, the sky was still completely overcast.  Not one star
could be seen.  I was wondering if I might even get some rain on my
way out.  Fortunately there was no rain, but solid cloudiness ruled
almost all the way.  Then, I started having doubts.  Did the clouds
stall in their movements?  Did I mis-judge the forecast?  I sure was
hoping that wasn't going to happen.  As I approached my destination at
11:30pm, the Quarter Moon suddenly appeared nicely low near the
horizon.  It could only mean one thing... the clearing was
approaching!  Overhead, the blanket of thick clouds was suddenly
thinning and the brightest stars began to show.  It wasn't much yet,
but a sure sign that things were about to get a lot better.

I had no trouble at all finding the correct spot along Stafford 2nd
Line road (thanks to the excellent directions provided by Chris).  I
parked the car on the shoulder of the gravel road and proceeded to
setting up my chair in the little entrance between the main road and
the metal gate.  It took me a few minutes to position my chair
properly, for a nice wide open view of the southern sky.  The road was
indeed as quiet as Chris told me it would... Throughout the entire
night, not one car went by.  The area was also very quiet, and there
was not a single light visible around me.  Perfect!  :)  Some
mosquitoes (and 3 or 4 bats) were out early, but they disappeared
completely after just one hour.  Overhead, the sky was improving
slowly but surely.  By 12:30am, the clearing was now more than halfway
up in the west.  It was looking promising!  Some 15 minutes later, M13
popped into view, and it was a very distinct little "fuzzball" even to
the naked eye!  By 12:50am, the clouds continued to recede and most of
the Milky Way was coming out into full view.  Wow!  It was good, and
it was exceeding my expectations!  The transparency was excellent,
with stars as faint as mag 6.8 visible at the zenith!  A wealth of
structure was visible, and the Milky Way was well over 30 degrees
thick in some areas.  The Milky Way soon took a three dimensional
appearance and seemed to be buried in a vast sea of faint stars.  The
sky was actually a lot better than I thought it would be for this
observing site.  I suspect that the blanket of clouds lingering above
Ottawa helped block a lot of light pollution, and kept the sky above
me pristine.  The North American nebula's shape was distinct to the
naked eye, M33 was visible on averted vision, and even the faint
Zodiacal Band made an appearance during the last hour.  I could follow
its soft glow along most of the ecliptic.  What a thrill!

I signed on for meteors at 1:00am (local time) and observed right up
until the onset of morning twilight.  The transparency remained
excellent and remarkably consistent throughout the night; my LM
dropped a notch in the last period because of brightening morning sky.

In 3 hours time, I recorded a total 100 meteors (my second most active
meteor night of the year).  The first period (one hour) produced 31
meteors (for an average of about one meteor seen every 2 minutes).
The second period (also one hour) was the most active with 37 meteors
(for an average of about one meteor seen every 1.6 minutes).  The
final period (one hour and a quarter) produced 32 meteors.  The
southern Delta Aquarids (SDA) were quite active during the first hour
(with 13 seen) and in the second hour (with 12 seen).  These rates are
not too bad considering the highest elevation that this radiant gets
to for me is only 28 degrees.  It was however interesting to see the
SDA's appearing to drop off sharply during the last hour.  The drop in
activity could not have been due to fatigue, because I know that I was
fully alert right up until the end.  No fireballs were seen, although
the SDA's were on average a bit brighter than the sporadic
background.  Sporadics themselves were quite active throughout the
night, especially in the second period.  A number of swift Perseids,
as well as a few antihelions and slow-moving Alpha Capricornids were
also seen.  I had not fewer than four instances of two meteors
appearing within a split second of each other.  There was even a
moment of two meteors nearly crossing paths!

All in all, it was quite a satisfying night!  And a thank you to Chris
Thuemen for making me aware of this site.  It allowed me to get to a
spot where the sky cleared sooner :)

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: July 29/30 2009
BEGIN: 05:00 UT (01:00 EDT) END: 08:20 UT (04:20 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76.994 West; Lat: 45.685 North Elevation: 300 ft
Observing site: Stafford 2nd Line, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
CAP (Alpha Capricornids)_________________________20:16 -11
ANT (Antihelion)_________________________________21:04 -15
SDA (South Delta Aquarids)_______________________22:28 -17
PAU (Pisces Austrinids)__________________________22:36 -31
PER (Perseids)___________________________________01:32 +53
SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)____FIELD_______Teff____LM____SPO_ANT_CAP_SDA_PAU_PER

05:00-06:01___21:05 +05___1.02___6.73___10___5___0__13___0___3
06:05-07:05___22:10 +06___1.00___6.73___16___3___1__12___0___5
07:05-08:20___23:16 +06___1.25___6.63___16___1___2___7___0___6

TOTALS:___________________3.27__________42___9___3__32___0__14  =  100

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time not spent
looking at the sky), where 1.00 is exactly one hour. The column (LM)
is the average naked eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle
star counts. All following columns indicate the number of meteors for
each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5__+6______AVE

SPO___1___2___1___9___9___8__11___1_____+3.29
SDA___0___1___6___4___6__11___4___0_____+3.00
PER___0___0___2___3___5___2___1___1_____+3.00
ANT___0___0___1___1___3___1___3___0_____+3.44
CAP___0___0___0___0___1___1___1___0_____+4.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: none

Breaks (UT): 6:01-05