(meteorobs) Military Hush-Up: Incoming Space RocksNow Classified

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Thu Jun 11 02:41:19 EDT 2009

Larry,

Your comment misses the point completely. This is not about NEO detection, i.e.
"future impact threaths" (this is what you seem to think). It is about fireball
detection, i.e. objects that actually already enter the atmosphere. So your
whole comment:

 > Envision what would happen if everyone thought their final end would come in
 > 10 years, 1 year, 1 month, or 7 days..... You wouldn't even recognize the
 > world you once knew.
 >
 > Proper control of this information is necessary to allow time to seek
 > solutions before everyone goes ballistic with fear. And that fear might just
 > turn out to be groundless!

....is irrelevant.

Satellite detection of fireballs allowed scientists to get quite accurate
estimates of energy release, and sometimes also atmospheric trajectory, of
fireballs. It also provided relevant statistics about the influx of larger
meteoroids.

- Marco