(meteorobs) Military Hush-Up: Incoming Space RocksNow Classified

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Thu Jun 11 03:32:22 EDT 2009

Larry schreef:
> Hi Marco.
>
> If what you say is true, then it would appear that the compromise in
> security might be in the minimal detection of energy and/or the bandpass
> wavelengths etc. I worked (lab tested) such a tactical satellite 53
> years ago for my comparison here.

That will be a factor, yes. But it is part of a larger picture. The DoD has
recently been tightening access to and dissemination of non-classified satellite
orbital data from their tracking network (the former Norad) as well and it seems
that initially they wanted to completely stop that as well (data on classified
objects already are withold. Amateurs provide those though :-)  ). Seems they
have some people in the top-brass there now that love a "top secret" stamp and
simply do not want outsider access to any of their collected data, be it
fireballs, satellites or whatever. The reason for that shift is entirely unclear
(and in the case of satellite orbits it is quite unrealistic too).

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)