(meteorobs) Radio Forward Scatter

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Fri Jun 12 20:20:21 EDT 2009

Kurt,

Check out International Meteor Organization website here for good radio
meteor information:
http://www.imo.net/radio
Check out the American Meteor Society website for additional info here:
http://www.amsmeteors.org/radmet.html

Lake Hodges Radio wrote:
> Analog NTSC TV in the US was an AM video carrier with an FM audio
> carrier on VHF and UHF frequencies ranging from 55.25MHz (ch2) to
> 885.25Mhz (ch 83).

There is an upper and lower cutoff in frequency for best reflective
ionization. I'm not sure what that MHz is though.
> Broadcast FM radio is similar... an FM audio carrier ranging between
> 88 and 108MHz.

88-108 MHz FM works great if you can find vacant space on the dial.
> There are also VHF AM audio carriers on the aircraft band between 108
> and 135Mhz... these are low power automated traffic (and weather)
> information stations (ATIS), and there is one at just about every
> mid- to large-size airport.
>
> Can you use any of those signals to detect ionized trails?

I seldom hear of anyone using airport beacons. Maybe someone else knows
about these.

Thomas Ashcraft