(meteorobs) Still getting scatter after switchover, plus VLF observation

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sun Jun 14 12:08:35 EDT 2009

Of possible interest to radio meteor observers:

June 14, 2009

So now the analog to digital tv switchover has happened and I am
fortunately still getting VHF forward scatter from meteors, possibly
from analog tv transmitters in Mexico.   The sky at zenith over my
observatory is still VHF illuminated for reception of VHF meteors.  This
is helpful in my study of possible ELF/VLF meteor reception in that
certain meteors produce a well defined trail ionization light curve,
with flaring or flarings along their path.

I am hoping to eventually capture a direct ELF/VLF radio reception from
a meteor that is precisely in sync with the flarings and/or terminal
burst of a fireball. So far I have captured a few possible ELF/VLF
emissions but none are conclusive as yet. Last night there was a good
candidate fireball directly overhead that exhibited minor mid-path
flaring and you can hear the flaring in two channels of VHF forward
scatter in video B. below.  I was hoping that this fireball would also
show obvious emission but I can detect none in the midst of the dense
sferic and lightning background.

Here are two .mp4 movies of this specimen fireball:

A. )  ELF/VLF only  .mp4   716 KB
http://www.heliotown.com/FBvlf200906140846ut_Ashcraft.mp4

B. )  ELF/VLF  :   61.250 MHz tv channel 3 video carrier   :  83.250 tv
channel 6 video carrier wave  :  WWV   :   2.2 MB
http://www.heliotown.com/FBv6183s200906140846utAshcraftfull.mp4

Thomas Ashcraft
Radio Fireball Observatory
35.50 N Lat 105.89 W  Long