(meteorobs) A very luminous bolid over Southern Italy

Maravelias Grigoris gmaravel at iesl.forth.gr
Wed Jun 17 06:54:29 EDT 2009

Hello !!

Yes there have been some reports on this. There are some articles
available in greek (you may try google translator)

a. http://www.in.gr/news/article.asp?lngEntityID=1023333&lngDtrID=252
b.
http://www.ethnos.gr/article.asp?catid=11386&subid=2&tag=8400&pubid=4088804
c. (the most important reporst as Astrovox is a greek astronomy forum)
http://www.astrovox.gr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10159&highlight=
d. another source: a tv show on Saturday night that deals with "strange
facts" (they were trying to present it more like something strange but
fortunately a physicist managed to conclude that this was probable a big
meteor)

What I have gathered so far are:

1. The bolide time was around 21:00 - 21:30 local time (18:00-18:30 UT)
2. duration (depending on witnesses) from 5-10 sec, one mentioning 15sec
and another one 26 sec
3. green color
4. direction west to north west
5. position close to horizon (perhaps parallel)
6. around 40deg trace
7. fragmentation (3-4 pieces)
8. seen from western part of Greece mainly (Chania of Crete, Patra,
Corfu, Thessaloniki and Athens)

Unfortunately none of them refered to any possible evaluation of the
magnitude (meteor science in not at all famous here!). I have already
asked some witnesses so if i have some more information about magnitude
(and possible any other data) I will mail again.

Best wishes,

Grigoris Maravelias