(meteorobs) video capture system compared to straight video

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Fri Jun 19 10:40:25 EDT 2009

I made a comparison movie of the June 19, 2009 0725 UT fireball as it
was captured in my split video system.  I made this movie to point out a
limitation of capture box style systems.

In my observatory I have one all-sky video camera that feeds into a
video distribution amplifier and splits the video signal to send into a
Sentinel capture box system and a second feed streams into a Canopus
ADVC110 ( analog to digital video converter) and then via firewire into
an iMac running iMovie 6 software which records straight video ( and
sound) at 30 frames per second.

This particular fireball it created a mid-path burst that illuminated a
large portion of the sky. The capture box did not record beyond its
capture parameters but the straight video shows the full sky
illumination.  Note that I added stills in the movie of the full flash.
The false color movie portion is the capture system and the black and
white movie that follows is the straight video.

I posted the comparison movie here in two different formats:

.mp4 format :    http://www.heliotown.com/FB20090619_0725ut_Ashcraft50.mp4
divx format  :   http://www.heliotown.com/FB20090619_0725ut_Ashcraft.divx

Thomas Ashcraft
Radio Fireball Observatory