(meteorobs) Observation May 16/17 2009

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 23 00:06:34 EDT 2009

On the morning of May 17, I observed meteors at Bootland Farm for a
little over an hour until moonrise.  The sky transparency was
generally good, but fluctuated between 3 and 4/5.  The temperature
went from 8C down to just 1C late in the session.  It was a
comfortably dry night with no dew, but the wind really helped keep
things nice and dry.  Actually, it was VERY breezy!!  There were some
strong gusts throughout the session, and I could hear and see the
treeline swishing and swaying back and forth!  I don't think I've ever
observed under such a windy night.  It turned out that my van was
positioned in such a way that it shielded me nicely.

Aside from the six sporadics, the only other activity was two faint
antihelions.

Just after 2am, thin cirrus clouds started to encroach.  And with the
Moon peeking above the treeline, it was time to head back home.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: May 16/17 2009
BEGIN: 04:50 UT (00:50 EDT) END: 06:15 UT (02:15 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76 29' West; Lat: 45 23' North Elevation: 400 ft
Observing site: Bootland Farm, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
ANT (Antihelion)_________________________________16:36 -22
ETA (Eta Aquarids)_______________________________23:08 +04
SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)_____FIELD_______Teff____F______LM____SPO_ANT_ETA

04:50-06:15____17:12 +10___1.29___1.00___6.48____6___2___/

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time not spent
looking at the sky). The column (LM) is the average naked eye limiting
magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All following columns
indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___1___0___2___3___0_____+3.16

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None