(meteorobs) Southern Arizona Fireball - Jun 23

chergen chergen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 12:32:52 EDT 2009

Last evening a major fireball event occurred over southern Arizona.
It was visible from as far north as the Phoenix metro area and all
over Tucson. It happened around 9:21 pm MST (4:21 UT) and from my
home in central Tucson, the fireball was to the SE around 20-30
degrees altitude.

Though my meteor cameras were not pointed in the right direction, I
was outside at the time and was an eyewitness.

More details are on my blog (including other eyewitness accounts) at
http://transientsky.wordpress.com .

In addition to having a brightness that rivaled the full moon, it
was observed to have fragmented into dozens of pieces and caused a
loud sonic boom 1-3 minutes after the event. It looked very similar
to the videos I've seen of the Peekskill fireball from 1994 though
last night's only lasted for ~5 seconds.

Did any other meteor cams pick this up?

Regards,
- Carl Hergenrother