(meteorobs) Useful technique for AMS All-Sky Fireball camera reports.

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 8 03:42:50 EDT 2009

When reviewing the nights captures with Sentinel or other camera systems it
is difficult to determine whether any Fireball left a persistant train due
to the lack of sensitivity compared to the eye reports of field observers.
This conflict in reporting has bothered me for some time when I mark "no
train" on AMS and observers see and mark it with a train on AMS.

I have found a solution which will bring these two methods of observation
closer together with train reports.

To Wit: All-Sky camera systems that can save & view a metor file in Q-time
or other need only to DOUBLE the image size when movie is playing in a loop
mode. This doubling can be selected in Q-Times "view" menu. It enhances and
brings out the persistant trains even if they are only a second or so. Try
it on some of your older captures that were saved as a movie.

YCSentinel