(meteorobs) A piece of Cosmos Falls

prospector at znet.com prospector at znet.com
Wed Mar 11 11:42:52 EDT 2009

This may be an opportunity to see a form of dark meteors we discussed back
in 1999-2001 from time to time. If the pieces are too slow to cause
ablation, then they will probably cause a hypersonic shock wave that could
be followed over tens of degrees. I observed serveral natural hypersonic
shock waves during the years, 1997-2000, when I was using binoculars most
of the time when I was looking at the night skies between two cities. The
hypersonic shock wve created by non-ablating meteors look like ====> of
various lengths. One I saw in Taurus was very short  ==> indicating that it
was turned toward me while another three together looked like ( (  (  they
were almost heading directly toward me. If you know the time, you could
glass the area and maybe see a hypersonic shock wave, perhaps record it.

                                   Dave English
                              Oceanside, California