(meteorobs) Origin of ZHR: Getting closer?

drobnock drobnock at penn.com
Sun Mar 15 23:59:34 EDT 2009

Some time back a question was asked about the origin of the term ZhR or
zenithal hourly rate.

During the discussion it was thought that the term was originated by
Sidgwick or Kresák circa 1951/1953. I came across the following use of
the term ZHR  in "Memoirs of the British Astronomical Association,"  By
E E Markwick, British Astronomical Association reports of observational
sections,  Volume I. Year 1891. Published 1893 London.

On page 21 was a discussion of the Leonids. Observation by a Mr
Backhouse and the report submitted by Denning. The quote of interest is
"... zenithal hourly rate of Leonids, ie, corrected for altitude of
radiant"

>From this the term is older than 1952.

George John Drobnock