(meteorobs) It must have been a Camelopardalid!

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Mon Mar 23 11:35:47 EDT 2009

Richard: In my public talks I often tell people you don't need a $10,000
telescope and no sleep to be an astronomer, it's possible to do worthwhile
astronomy while taking out the garbage or taking the dog for a walk. Your
meteor sighting described here is a case in point.

Sounds like a beauty. I really love the slow ones, and my memory of my one
lifetime Camelopardalid :) is a treasured one. Too bad they're as sparse as
the constellation whose name they bear.

Found an interesting article on the Camelopardalids and March Geminids at
Universe Today which cited a speed of just 7 km/s for the Cams and a
possible source of the famous asteroid 1221 Amor. I had understood 11 km to
be the slowest possible meteor (and 72 km/s the fastest); is this an error?
(Perhaps somebody mistranscribed 7 miles per second?) Or is it me who is in
error?

http://www.universetoday.com/2009/03/21/meteor-shower-alert-on-march-22-camelopardalids-and-march-geminids-arrive/

I'm a little puzzled that the Cams were not mentioned in Robert's AMS weekly
outlook, IMO's annual calendar nor Meteor Showers On-Line. Is there
something (else) unusual about this weak shower?

Thanks for the report, Richard.

Bruce
*****