(meteorobs) Meteor receiver

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Mon Mar 30 16:26:35 EDT 2009

Julian Portik wrote:

> Is it possible that we receive (VLF) signals of meteors?? If not how could we get some
> acceptable results?
>
> Thank you in anticipation!
>
> Many greetings
>
> Julian

Dear Julian,

Good luck with your experimenting.

I have been conducting a VLF/ELF experiment nightly for about two months
in conjunction with my all-sky camera.  I have about 30 visual meteor
captures so far with no conclusive proof of correlation between a meteor
and any sort of direct emission.  I do have some maybes though.

I would still encourage your experimentation.  I do think that a large
meteor may make some sort of detectable emission and large meteors will
pass over your observatory periodically.
.
Presently as the seasons change there is more sferic acivity caused by
lightning and I think it will be harder to separate a possible meteor
emission from general background activity.  Here are a few movie
samples.  I intend to post all movie captures when I have time.

http://www.heliotown.com/VLF_Radio_and_Meteors.html

You might also be interested in my VHF forward scatter movie archive.
http://www.heliotown.com/Ashcrafts_Fireball_Archive.html

Good luck with your project and feel free to ask any questions.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft
New Mexico