(meteorobs) Fireball and booms reported - Dorchester County, Md., to the Virginia/North Carolina border

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 31 19:08:35 EDT 2009

Thomas,

Unfortunately they re-edited the interview in that news report so that
it did not include as much information as before. Kent Blackwell also
said the meteor went from green to red, which also suggests to me that
it was not junk.

It does sound as though this would have had to be a relatively low entry
angle for the booms to be heard over such a wide area.

Do asteroid orbits follow similar patterns to cometary meteoroid orbits?
ie, do they have have radiants, that rise over time?

If they did, then would it not be a bit late in the evening for asteroid
grazers? If this is true, then perhaps we have a cometary fragment in
this case? Most cometary radiants produce grazers at around this time in
the evening, so perhaps this makes sense?

Also, I have never seen a non-shower member follow the same pattern of
color from green to red that Leonids and Perseids display for example,
which would suggest that only cometary meteoroids do this to me. Perhaps
someone else here has seen a non-shower member do this?

Leo