(meteorobs) Radio ELF/VLF/video -Fireball- April 28, 2009, 2026MDT

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Fri May 1 09:53:31 EDT 2009

Julian Portik wrote:
> @Thomas Ashcraft
> What circut did you use to receive this VLF-emessions?
> I'm interested in this setup.
>
> Thank you in anticipation
>
> J. Portik

Julian,

First it is important to point out that radio emissions from meteors
received at ELF/VLF are difficult to prove due to the density of
lightning sferics in this region of the radio spectrum. Whenever there
is a meteor there will likely be coincident lightning sounds that may
appear to be meteor related but are actually just distant lightning
phenomena. As fas as I can tell, previous published studies that have
reported meteor sounds may not have incorporated long term baseline data.

It would be very useful to science if you followed through on a
monitoring regimen with VLF/ELF/ULF radio.

My own receiver is a McGreevy WR-3E radio, made in 1994.  It is a very
fine radio but I don't know if they are available anymore to purchase.
You can hear many interesting audio recordings of natural radio here:
http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/mcgreevy/

My advice is to join the VLF Yahoo group and ask your radio circuit
questions there.  You will get good advice.  Info on joining the group here: