(meteorobs) Eta Aquariid Observations May 6, 2009

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Fri May 8 16:49:31 EDT 2009

Despite the bright moonlight, I drove 40 miles east of San Diego to view the
Eta Aquariids from the Alpine Viewpoint. The nearly full moon was low in the
west yet the entire sky was still awash in its light. Even in the opposite
direction it appeared that twilight was already underway. Still, the sky was
transparent and the beginning limiting magnitude was a respectable +6.28.
The Milky Way was much more impressive than seen at home, especially tonight
as the "marine layer" (stratus deck) covered the coastal cities.

The first hour produced more satellites than meteors. The first and only ETA
was seen at 1035 UT or 335 PDT. Only 2 sporadic meteors were seen this hour.
The conditions changed dramatically during the second hour as the moon set.
Suddenly the stars burst forth in all their splendor and the Milky Way
became a blazing swath of glittering starlight. Meteors began darting about
ever more frequently. Most of them were Eta Aquariids, shooting upwards from
Aquarius. At 1113 UT or 414 PDT, a bright light caught my attention far to
the south. I swung around to my right in time to see an impressive
green-white Antihelion fireball slowly fall across the stars of Scorpius,
ending close to its stinger. I estimated its magnitude at a conservative -5.
It could have been a few magnitudes brighter. There was also fragmentation
just before it extinguished.

All of the ETA's were of magnitude +1, +2, or +3. All of the +1's and +2's
displayed persistent trains. A few of the +3's did too. The one possible Xi
Cygnid was a nice first magnitude meteor that shot down toward Pegasus.

Despite the later moonset tomorrow, I plan to try at least one more session
for the Eta Aquariids. Video results to follow...

Observer: Robert Lunsford (LUNRO)
Date: 09-May-06 Mean Solar Long: 045.926
Beginning Time (UT) 1000
Ending Time (UT) 1200
Total TeFF: 2.00 Moon Set: 11:03 UT
94% Illuminated Moon

LOCATION: Alpine Viewpoint, CA, USA
LONG: 116 39' 40" W LAT: 32 50' 13" N
Elevation: 630 m,  Bortle Scale: Class 3: Rural Sky
Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity: 51F (11C) - 77%
Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity: 50F (10C) - 76%
METHOD: Visual Recording on Tape/Video Recording
--------------------------
Showers Observed
ANT 15:52 (238) -20    00-01      1   Total
ELY 18:56 (284) +44    00-00      0   Total
ETA 22:28 (337) -01     01-11    12   Total
XCG 22:04 (331) +47   00-01      1   Total
SPO                              02-05      7   Total

Hourly Counts               03-18     21  Total

---------------------------
Period 1   1000-1100 UT
F = 1.00 (0% Clouds) Mean LM 6.53
FOV 300 +10  TOTAL TeFF: 1.00
Mean Solar Long: 045.897

Meteor Data:
ANT 0, ELY 0,  ETA 1, XCG 0, SPO  2,  TOTAL 3

Magnitude Distribution
ETA +3 (1)  Mean +3.00
SPO +2 (1) +3 (1) Mean + 2.50

----------------------------
Period 2   1100-1200 UT
F = 1.00 (0% Clouds) Mean LM 6.61
FOV 315 +10  TOTAL TeFF: 1.00
Mean Solar Long: 045.938

Meteor Data:
ANT 1, ELY 0,  ETA 11, XCG 1, SPO  5,  TOTAL 18

Magnitude Distribution
ANT -5 (1) Mean -5.00
ETA +1 (2) +2 (4) +3 (5)  Mean +2.27
XCG +1 (1) Mean +1.00